Join us as a member and help advance gender equality in Malaysia. SERATA aims to seek social justice and well-being of the people of Sabah through promotion of gender equality and respect for gender diversity at the workplace and division of responsibilities within the family. We are different in the sense that we promote the inclusion of men and boys as allies to gender equality initiatives.
Our members participate in various initiatives, including raising awareness about gender equality, volunteering to organize events, advocating for public policy reform, among other activities. As our member, you will also be invited to our Biennial General Meeting, where you’ll have a say in shaping the direction of SERATA.
What is expected of members
Members are expected to subscribe to our mission, objectives, and core values, exercise membership privileges in a responsible manner, and most importantly – be sincere.
In reciprocation, we commit to provide members with access to our financial statements, decision-making during the Biennial General Meeting (BGM) and relevant updates on activities and governance of SERATA through our Annual Report.
In accordance with the Societies Act (1966), we will prepare financial statements to be tabled at our BGM held every alternate year in November. Members are invited to attend to examine the financial statement, vote on matters arising, or stand as a candidate of the Executive Committee (EXCO).
Members must aged eighteen (18) years and above, and subscribe to the objectives of SERATA as a society. Any person irrespective of race, religion or gender will be considered.
SERATA members will be entitled to the following benefits, which SERATA volunteers do not have:
- Attend the Biennial General Meeting (BGM), which is held every alternate year in November
- Raise any issues or concerns during the BGM and vote on them.
- Take part in discussions on the overall direction and strategy of the organization.
- Stand for elections for the Executive Committee (EXCO) positions — EXCO members work closely with the SERATA staff to ensure that the organisation is moving forward as strategized and according to SERATA core values and policies.
- Access to SERATA only events — internal and external (e.g., invitations to workshops, talks, SERATA staff meetings, strategic planning retreats).
- Access to a member-only portal to increase knowledge and awareness of gender equality
Applicants can submit their applications via the online form available on the website or in person.
If your application is successful, we will email you details about how to pay the membership fee of RM50 per year and a one-time registration fee . Your membership will be activated once we have received the membership fee. We will then add you to our member mailing list and Whatsapp group to update you about various activities.
Interested to join us as a volunteer instead?
We are looking for passionate and dedicated volunteers to assist us in multiple areas, namely communications, research, visual design, organizing impactful events and in assisting with logistical matters such as helping out at special events. Although we are a small organization, we have big ideas that we hope to build into existence!
In return we will provide certificates of appreciation or may even help you write a testimonial or reference for your future endeavours!